Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Problem.



We all knew this would happen.

Today, the mother of my favourite child in all of India (Dipa) told me that she wants me to adopt Dipa and bring her to America.

For serious.

And I can't, 'cause I'm...
a) 19
b) not married
c) not done with college
d) not planning on settling down with a kid any time soon
e) not fluent in Bangla

However, explaining this to Shoma, Dipa's mother, was not fun.
Especially because, approximately two weeks ago, I posted a picture of Dipa on Facebook and captioned it with "Dipa Sardar. I'm bringing her back to the States with me."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Love and trying-to-not-adopt-a-kid,
Stephanie


(we've been making silly faces at each other since the first day I came to Apne Aap)

4 comments:

Beth Nudelman said...

Just goes to show 'ya - never say/post something you don't literally mean if someone who reads it is very literal!

I'm glad to read that you have delineated your priorities (reasons for not having a child yet.) I know that you will be a fantastic mother when the time is right! (And of course, I will be a fantastic grandmother - which is why you should have your children near my home!) Remember, Nana told Dad (once we were expecting Jason), that the distance requirement set up at marriage (you will live within 50 miles of us) was now decreased to 25 miles! And I, being a good daughter, and Dad, being a good son-in-law, listened and abided. (HINT, HINT!)

Love you muchly,
Proud Mama Panda
(who isn't quite ready to be a grandmother!)

P.S. My word is eyead. As in I can't wait to say I've laid my eyes on you! At the airport. In less than a week...

Josefin said...

No problem.

Katie Grace said...

wow. that's got to be rough. i think i'd be really tempted to adopt..... and yeah. be thinking about the same things as you did.

sorry you can't steal her away with you. *hug*
strayini- stray.... spaghetti?

Anonymous said...

Although there's no sane reason to bring her back, the insane would be so awesome.

Maybe someday? Just kidding...not really.