Sunday, February 1, 2009

Posting.

Today is a strange day.

Lately, I've felt like life is moving much faster than I am. I only have 60-some more days here. My time in India is nearly halfway through. It's odd.

Apne Aap is amazing. My girls are fantastic. They're learning, like, actually learning. As I wrote previously, I haven't had a translator for about two weeks, and it's actually easier to teach without one. We're easily, definitely communicating - one third English, one third Bangla, one third gestures, expressions and intuition. When I come back to Sudder and speak English with my American friends, I feel lazy.

Recently, I taught my girls up, down, right left, go, stop, fast, slow, turn, backwards, forwards, which way, this way, that way. We played a game that involved walking in a circle and me giving directions. If they messed up, they crashed into each other. We laughed through the whole thing, but by the end, they definitely knew all of the words.

After class last Wednesday, my girls insisted on Henna-ing me. It took about two hours. While it dried, we sang and danced and talked as much as we could. One of my girls said "no teacher, no students. We are friends." And that's what it feels like. We're all the same age. It's more like a bunch of friends hanging out every day, and one of us happens to know English, so I teach them English.

Also, I found out that my girls aren't prostitutes. Praise God. They do, however, live in the worst slum of all of Kolkata. Under tarps and such. When one of them wrote "I live in a hut" for her homework, she wasn't mistranslating. I want to go visit their homes, but I'm not sure if that's crossing any student-teacher line, or if it would be disrespectful. I won't ask, obviously. But I kind of hope they invite me. I want to help them financially, but I know that I can't. Teaching them English is, in a roundabout way, financially helpful.

Kalighat is difficult. I'm finally realizing that people die there, all the time. Last week, during tea, I suddenly felt an extreme imbalance in the world. My breath went short, it felt like someone had mentally shoved me off a chair, and I had a sudden awareness that someone had died. I stopped mid-sentence in a conversation, walked downstairs, and the Sisters were covering a man (well, his body) with a sheet.

What does it mean to die? Why does it inherently bother us so much? My current thoughts are these: God's Spirit dwells in us. When someone dies, God's Spirit leaves the body, and that feels AWFUL to anyone who sees or senses it. You could take the standpoint that it's really just life leaving the body that's so terribly disconcerting. But what's "life" anyway, but a verbal placeholder for "God"?

My new friends are amazing. Seriously. There's nearly nothing else to say. I've been praying about God granting me the ability to exist nearly completely here, and I can see Him providing me all I need again and again. I feel so ridiculously blessed.

I know this is a short post, but I honestly don't know what to write.

I'm here.
I love it.

And I'm listening to Mother India for the first time in a long time.

Love and henna,
Stephanie

3 comments:

Beth Nudelman said...

My dear Stephanie -

YOU are a blessing. To so many people - the girls in Kolkata who are so lucky to be learning from you; the people at Kalighat whose pain and suffering you ease; the friends you have made in Kolkata; and to your family and friends back home as well. Remember why I gave you your middle name - having you - my daughter - brought me so much Joy - and you still do. G-d bless you for the work you are doing. I look forward to seeing you, hugging you, and hearing more when you come home in April. In the meantime, keep learning and loving, and post some pictures with your henna!
Love you,
Mom Panda

P.S. Taringst - the angst one feels one they see someone getting tarred & feathered; or otherwise tortured/punished.

P.P.S. Okay, apparently I mis-typed the secret word. This one is cogranc - you working with others to write a grant for Apne Aap!

Josefin said...

Can you teach me to teach? I so desperately need it.
LOVE.

nana said...

DEAR STEPH,

WHAT BEAUTIFUL WRITING AND TRYING TO UNDERSTAND DEATH. REMINDER ONE SOMEONE LOVED DIES LIKE YOUR GRANDPA SID (MY HUSBAND WHO DIED) IT IS THE LIVING THAT GETS HURT THE MOST. WE DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO OUR LOVED ONES AND I DONT KNOW IF WE EVER WILL. ALL I KNOW IT IS OUR REMAINING LOVED ONES WHO GET US THROUGH THESE TERRIBLE TIMES. AND WE DO GET THROUGH THEM AND THEN YOU MEET SOMEONE LIKE PAPA STAN ( NEW NAME BEING BILLY GOAT AND LIVE IS BEAUTIFUL AGAIN. SO THE DEAD BRING LIFE AGAIN (EVEN THOUGH YOU NEVER FORGET) TO THE PERSON THEY LEAVE BEHIND. YOU ARE SEEING ALOT OF DEATH AT A VERY YOUNG AGE BUT SOME GOOD DOES COME FROM IT.

WE LOVE YOU MUCHLY,

NANA GOAT AND BILLY GOAT