Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Learning, changing, let's teach a class!

Two days ago, I taught English at Apne Aap for the first time. When I first spoke with Mahua Sur Ray (...the woman about whom I recently wrote an entire research paper...omigosh she actually exists...), I thought I would be helping with a class that already existed. She said that they had English classes on Monday and Tuesday, and that I could help with them if I liked. Not a big deal. Right?

Wrong.

I got to the Topsia center, and waited for about an hour (as usual, everything in India (with the exception of the Missionaries of Charity) seems to run an hour late, thank God I'm so Type B), and was then sent to the sewing lab with around seven young women. And two older Indian women, who would serve as my translators. This is when I first started feeling like something was a little strange. I don't speak Bangla. Zareen speaks English and Bangla. The young women speak Bangla. Why doesn't Zareen teach them English? I don't know. I'll get to that later.

So we sat down in a clump, and everyone looked at me. And I looked at Zareen for a moment, and said something like, "wait, am I teaching?" And she gave me the Indian-head-wobble, which means either yes, no, maybe, later, or anything in between. In this case, it meant "yes." Uhhhhhokay. So I asked her to translate for me, and spoke directly to the girls / young women (I think ages 16-22, maybe), and said "amar naam Ani." My name is Ani. Bangla. Step one. And they all smiled. And then I said, in English, "just as you are learning English, I am learning Bangla. So I know how it feels to learn something new. Please be patient with me as I learn." And *click*, connection panda. Awesome. So then I motioned for them to make a circle. Step two. Sit in a circle instead of a clump. Some of this memory is a little muddled, because I had to think very quickly, so I apologize if I write inaccurately. I grabbed a notebook and a bunch of pens from my bag, tore out paper, handed a piece of paper and a pen to everyone, and wrote my name in big, red crayon on a piece of notebook paper. In Bangla. And English. Ani. Once I figure out how to upload Bangla here, I'll do that. Promise. I asked them if they knew the English alphabet, and they all did. They'd learned it when they were little. So they all wrote their names, and we pronounced them back and forth.

Then I tore out another piece of paper, and asked them, with Zareen's help, if they knew any English. The group head-wobbled at me, this time meaning "no" or "maybe, but we're embarassed to try." I went with the latter. I think I'm getting better at head-wobble-speak. Then I smiled, and asked again if they knew any English words at all. Anything. This time, they threw out words seemingly at random. Car, bus, pen, water, cat, dog, lion, etc. We made animal noises for the animals to communicate understand beyond smiles and wobbles. That was fun. They reminded me a lot of me learning Spanish - words picked up from the street, from children, words that are fun to say, but really mean nothing useful - yo tengo una gato de fuego en mi corazon. I have a firecat in my heart. I water the lion bus.

I told them this was good, they knew a lot of English. And they all knew the alphabet. You are smart! You know much. I asked Zareen how much time we had left. Head-wobble. No idea what that meant. So I turned to the girls and said "let's learn something useful. Repeat after me." Zareen translated. Then "Bangla - kamon acho?" Repeated. "English - how are you?" Understanding. Further - "Bangla - ami bhalo achee." Repeated, certainty. They know this. "English - I am fine." Repeated, Indian tongues and teeth pronouncing English syllables. They copy my accent - the halfway between theirs and my real dialect, which has been lost somewhere on Sudder Street. I had them write both down - the Bangla in Bangla, the English in English, and I did the same. I explained, without Zareen's help now, which words matched up to which. Made sure they knew which letters matched with which. They knew that, shakily. Thank God I only have to reinforce the alphabet, rather than teach it from nothing. Then I asked them all, as a group, "kamon acho?" And they responded "ami bhalo achee" and giggled. Then, "how are you?" "I am fine." Applause. Then, with Zareen's help, I explained that we would, individually, turn the the woman to our right, and complete the exchange, in Bangla and English. I turned to Zareen. "Kamon acho?" "ami bhalo achee." "How are you?" "I am fine." And then Zareen to the next girl, and so on. And we went all the way around the circle, all of us in English and Bangla, practicing pronounciation. They learned quickly. Most had good pronounciation. My pronounciation. I had a few speak louder.

Somewhere in the midst of this, Zareen told me the girls had decided to call me "didi." Big sister. :-)

Then nine other girls came in, late, but on time if you're in India. So I introduced myself, checked how much English they knew, whether they knew the alphabet (they did!), had them write their names in Bangla and English, and ran them quickly through what I had just taught, while the other girls practiced writing "how are you" and "I am fine." Then I asked all the new girls to sit between the girls who had been there, so we alternated newer / older. And we went around the circle and did Bangla / English "how are you" again. By the same Bangla-English repeat, write, around-the-circle method, I taught "what is your name?" (apnar naam ki?) "my name is..." (amar naam...). And it went really, really well. And Zareen barely had to speak. And then I taught no (neh-hey) and yes (ha). And asked them at random what their names were and how they were. In English. And they responded, in English. Occasionally, they responded with "I am fine" to "what is your name," but not often.

After all of this (45 minutes? an hour? i don't know) I asked Zareen when we were finished. Head-wobble. Meaning "now, but take your time." Can I give them homework? Sure. Homework: decorate a namecard, using your name in English. Bring it with so I can learn your names. Also, collect five English words that you hear or see, from anywhere. Write them down. Know how to pronounce them. Know what they mean. Bring them with, and be ready to introduce them to the class. This should be easy, because you all know the alphabet, and there's English all over the city. Tik ache? Tik ache. Giggles, at the American casually using Bangla phrases at random. It's okay.

I decided that next week, I will teach them "it's okay," "where is the...," and some other phrases yet to be determined. I have until Monday to decide.

In the taxi on the way home, I exhaled. Something ridiculous had just happened. Originally, I was told I could help with the English class, if I liked. Then, I got thrown into a room of twenty young women who have clearly never taken an English class, and two older translators, who could clearly teach English if they wanted to. And then, teach.

Have I taught English before? Yes. ...English as a second language? Not even slightly. Did I say I wanted to help with the English class? ...yes. And honestly? That class went well. Really, really well. And it's not because I know how to teach English as a foreign language. I had no freaking idea what I was doing. Our God is an awesome God, and He was pretty specific about telling me to go teach English...so I'm just going to plan as much as I can for the next lesson, ask for advice, and go go go.

Also, class number two is in four days. And I'm gonna know a ton more Bangla by then. If any of you have advice on teaching a language, or on teaching in general, or on following God when I have no idea what I'm doing...yeah, that'd be appreciated.

Tik ache? Tik ache.

(Also, I ate Domino's pizza for dinner. Tomato, green pepper (called "capricum" here), corn. And Coke. Best. Comfort food. Ever.)

8 comments:

AlanNudelman said...

I disagree with your statement that you don't know what you're doing. Teaching is connecting, and you know how to do that. In addition, you've also got a bunch of both theory and technique that you've learned from IWU and being a student, and even if you don't realize it at the time, you're applying as you go. And succeeding.

Congratulations on your first day of teaching English. You should be proud of yourself. (Ooops, sorry, I forgot about the pride thing. You should be humble of yourself.)

The word is dappi, which means being happy while still doubting whether you should be happy, all the while keeping safe and sane and making good decisions.

(P.S. Where are you living? Please post or email an address. Thx.)

Love, Dad

BTW, keep on nom nom nom-ing. You should be eating more, you're too skinny.

Congratulations

nana said...

DEAR PANDA,

DIDN'T COMMENT ON YOUR LAST BLOG BECAUSE I FEEL I HAD TO READ IT A FEW MORE TIMES. THIS ONE IS SHOWING YOUR GIFT FOR TEACHING AND FOR PUTTING YOUR MIND AND UNDERSTAND IN PEOPLES HEADS AND HELPING THEM TO UNDERSTAND ENGLISH.GONE FOR ALMOST A MONTH AND LOOK WHAT YOU'VE ACCOMPLISHED. MAYBE YOU CAN TEACH PAPA BEAR AND NANA PANDA SOME BETTER ENGLISH, LIKE PAPAS BEARS ONE TWO TREE. REMEMBER THAT. WE ALWAYS NOT TOO OLD TO LEARN. LOVE FROM NANA PANDA (AND HER BETTER HALF

Kimmy said...

Sososo.. my Christmas present from my mom is a jar filled with approximately a ton of pieces of paper.. and on each one is a quote or warm fuzzy or something of that sort. Each day I've been picking out a new one. I think you'll like today's:

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang the best."

Stephanie what you're doing sounds absolutely amazing. And while you may not feel like you're the best person for the job, clearly right now at this moment you are. And you're doing a fantastic job. I'm so excited for you!

Sterisme: when a young child feels as if an unadequate amount of attention has been given to them, and they begin to act up. There is a direct relationship between the probability of sterisme occurring and the number of children present.

SamT. said...

I'm so glad that all of those years of you always being late are paying off :) I knew there had to be SOME reason for it. haha. Okay, so I, like you have never taught English as a new language, but I figured I can try to help. Just an idea, if you hate it that's fine, but maybe going on a walk and teaching them simple vocabulary like they already know would work. Naming everything you pass by would perhaps reinforce at least the sound recognition of certain common words and it also makes it relevant because it relates it to the environment around them. Also, the more they hear English and are exposed to the written words, the easier it will be for them to learn it. Obviously it may not work because this is what you are supposed to do with younger children (with "sponge-like" minds haha) who are learning language, but it might be worth a shot if you someday need an idea. Plus, I think it would be fun :)
Love Love Love,
Spoon (hehe)

Beth Nudelman said...

See - you are destined to be an English teacher! I ran into Mr. Bolger yesterday at Stevenson, and I sent him the link to your Blog, so you may be hearing from him too! Where are you living now? I went to "Jewish Yoga" this morning, and Rabbi Bellows talked about the light of G-d that is within all of us, and about our job - Tikkun Olam. And I am very proud of you for doing your part to repair the world.
Love you muchly,
Mom
P.S. my word is gammable. You are very gammabl. You got that from Daddy.

Shaybo said...

haha. head-wobble speak. that's amusing yet kind of annoying/discouraging at the same time.

AlanNudelman said...

You never did answer the question "Why ain't one of the translators teaching the kids to speak English?" Wondering...

The word is "chamiss", which is what a Chicagoan says when they come back from India (safe and sane, because they made good decisions while there), "Chamiss me?"

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are amazing. I agree with your dad, that teaching is connecting and you are incredibly good at connecting with people. And you're smart and sweet and those attributes help too.

I miss you so much.